Yes
Please by Amy Poehler made me wish I was her best friend
and could hang out with her every day. A perhaps unhealthy desire I feel
towards most of the women I admire. She is star of the American sitcom Parks
and Recreation (also starring another of my crushes Aubrey Plaza) a show which
manages to be both funny and heart-warming, without making me want to puke. I
also learnt, thanks to this book, about the other cool projects she’s involved
in, such as - http://amysmartgirls.com/
Yes
Please is her memoir/a kind of self-help book, but the
kind you actually want to read. It’s full of anecdotes about her successful
career as a professional funny woman and advice about life in general. She also
talks very movingly about her family, her sons and the insecurities that she’s
struggled with. I was almost brought to tears at some points, which says a lot,
because I didn’t even cry at the end of The
Fault in our Stars (for which I was labelled dead inside by my
step-daughter). She manages to write about these things without seeming mawkish
or mushy, but with an earnest sincerity that I found endearing. Frankly, I
found her book inspiring, not to mention that obviously it’s hilariously funny.
I came across Animals
by Emma Jane Unsworth in Foyles a couple of months ago. The cover and the
tagline grabbed my interest ‘…Withnail with
girls’, says Caitlin Moran, but as I already had three books I wanted to buy I
decided to wait and get this from the library. Now that I’ve read it, I plan to
buy it, tomorrow, it’s that good. I’m almost tempted to join twitter, just so I
can follow Ms Unsworth because now that I’ve finished Animals I miss the characters and apparently she is just as funny
as they are.
Animals
is
one of the funniest books I’ve ever read, in my whole life ever. I know that
sounds like hyperbole, BUT ITS TRUE. I literally snorted soup out of my nose
whilst reading this book on my lunch break. It’s about two best friends, Laura
and Tyler, who are in their late twenties/early thirties and live in
Manchester. They don’t have careers, or husbands or babies. I love books like
this because they make me feel better about myself for not having my shit
together yet. It’s also a terrifically honest portrait of female friendship and
the female body, which can shit and puke and make bad sexual decisions, just
like men can. It is also very clever in its humour, impressive in references
and insightful about life. I urge all my girlfriends out there to read this,
its filthy and funny and I will definitely lend it to all of you when I buy my
copy.
No comments:
Post a Comment