Monday, 22 June 2015

Clothes clothes clothes music music music boys boys boys by Viv Albertine


I read the whole of this book in one day. I’m a pretty fast reader, but something really has to resonate for me to spend my whole day off reading. Actually, that’s a lie; I quite happily (and frequently) spend the whole day lost in a book. Being able to blow off the gym and having an excuse not to make dinner are an added bonus to this style of reading.
Viv Albertine (such a cool name) was among other things, the guitarist of the first all-girl punk band called The Slits. Perhaps you haven’t heard of her, I hadn’t, but she is Punk Royalty. This autobiography charts her childhood in Muswell Hill to the squats of Acton through to the east coast of Sussex and is devoted to her three main passions.
Her portrait of the 70s punk scene is raw and unvarnished and is described in all its un-washed glory. She portrays the famous characters from that time in a brutally realistic way, humanising them and exposing their fragile egos. She writes candidly of the ‘boys’ in her life.  Sid Vicious is a needy weirdo who follows her around everywhere. She had an on/off relationship with Mick Jones from The Clash and a flirtation with Vincent Gallo.  She is an excellent example to hold up to the haters, that being a feminist doesn’t mean you hate men.
When The Slits first formed, none of them could really play their instruments, but they persevered and ended up making a brilliant and accessible record. I remember coming across a copy of The Slits first album Cut about fifteen years ago. The cover image of them standing proudly half naked and covered in mud intrigued and shocked me. If I had bought it then I’m pretty sure I would have ended up a lot cooler than I am now.
Viv Albertine battled all her life with self-confidence issues, stemming from a couple of formative experiences in her youth, such as her father telling her that she’s not cool enough to be in a band. She struggled for a long time to perfect her guitar playing and ended up releasing a solo album at the age of fifty eight. She is proof that if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. She is an example of this not just in her musical career but also in her personal life. She endured eleven rounds of IVF before she gave birth to the baby she longed for. This is a superhuman feat; I cannot imagine how she survived it. A couple of years after having her daughter she found out she had cervical cancer. She survived but it took her ten years to get back to being in a place where she could make music again. Her strength of character has inspired me to not give up on my dreams, to fight for what I want and to always wear a mini skirt if I feel like it.
And the clothes! Every experience she talks about, what she wore is included. She had a brave and provocative personal style, shopping in Vivienne Westwood’s shop Sex when she had the money and getting the rest of her outfits from boot sales and bondage shops. She has cemented my need for a pair of leopard print Chelsea boots and a leather jacket.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment