Inherent
Vice by Thomas Pynchon
This book is
nothing but groovy vibes. Follow ‘Doc’ Sportello on his crazy trip through 1970s L.A. Mystery after mystery unfolds, like a Russian doll that just
keeps on going. Everything is shrouded in marijuana smoke, and that’s ok. This
is the kind of book that as soon as I finished I wanted to read again, knowing
that I would gain just as much pleasure as the first time. Thomas Pynchon is
such a word maestro and he creates such a dense, hip universe with characters that
have the most hilarious names I’ve ever heard. ‘Jason Velveeta’, ‘Bigfoot
Bjornsen’, ‘Japonica Fenway’, just to name a few.
As its set
in the 70s, and peopled mostly with hippy stoners, there’s a fair amount of
food and music discussion (guaranteed awesome soundtrack to the film). The book
is also rife with U.S paranoia of the Charles Manson and Nixon variety, which
still makes it pretty relevant considering the world hasn’t changed much.
Inherent
Vice is a really really funny and clever book and a perfect summer read.
The
Awakening by Kate Chopin
The
Awakening was published in 1899. That’s twenty years before Virginia Woolf’s A
Room Of One’s Own and sixty-four years before Betty Friedan’s The Feminine
Mystique. It is regarded as one of the earliest examples of feminist literature
and is therefore pretty damn important. It’s also a beautifully sensuous and
evocative story of one woman’s sexual and political awakening. By political I
mean the realisation that she is in control of her destiny, not her husband and
not the repressive society that she lives in. The personal is political. This book created huge controversy when it was first published. Not
only does Edna Pontellier disobey her husband, neglect her household duties and
dare to discover her own sexuality, she does it all without feeling any remorse
or shame. I say, right on Edna, you go
sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment